Friday 15 February 2008

Continued ...!

Gosh, well these are going to be long posts it seems, at least until I've caught up with myself a bit. So where was I?

Ah, theBROADWAY, Barking. Well due to the aforementioned lack of staff, I've been very busy with recruitment and I've also been seconded to the Marketing Department to help with press cuttings and suchlike. So technically I now have 2 jobs! This means I've been full-time since the beginning of January - not a huge shift, since I've only gone from 30 hours a week to 40 hours a week, but surprisingly tiring nonetheless. However, the marketing tasks will only last until we get a new Press and Marketing Officer (the application deadline for which was last week) so after that I'll have the full 40 hours to devote to my new Administrator work. I'll also have to teach our new administrator all about how we operate, when they are appointed, so I won't be bored that's for sure!

The last time I blogged (until the most recent post, that is!) I'd just given my first hire tour of the the theatre and was generally still quite a newbie at the Broadway. Since then I have settled in well and taken on plenty of responsibilities, as well as getting to know people, which has been really nice. Our Christmas panto, Cinderella, was a particularly fun period, as I got to know some of the cast and crew, and the atmosphere in the theatre was always buzzing! One of the best things about working here has been getting on so well with Xander, who has been a constant encouragement, getting me to take on new things and learn as much as possible, as well as being fun to be around, and knowing when to tell me to improve on what I've done. Plus he's a big Musical Theatre geek (!) so we've been on several fun outings and can chat about various geeky musical theatre topics [e.g. who has been the best Elphaba in Wicked...] As such, I'm gutted that he's leaving! Sitting at my desk just won't be the same without him sitting opposite, grooving away to Legally Blonde (or similar) on his headphones...

Speaking of theatre I've seen plenty of shows recently (or until I started working on State Fair, which has taken up quite a bit of my time) - including Wicked, La Cage Aux Folles, Uncle Vanya (the press night at the new Rose Theatre) Avenue Q (again), Bill Bailey (the Tinselworm tour, in Birmingham with Rob) and a whole weekend of Sweeney Todd! (The show at Warwick Arts centre AND the film, plus a few choice morsels of soundtracks...) I've also spent weekends in various places including Nottingham (visiting Sam and Geoff) and Cardiff (visitng my gran), and most recently I went to see Strictly Come Dancing Live at the o2 thanks to Duncan who's a cameraman on the tour! Amazing. So all in all, I've been pretty busy!

The Musical of Musicals/Throwaway project has been coming on slowly but surely (as you may be able to see from the blog - http://themusicalofmusicals.blogspot.com ) but has slowed down somewhat with Tim away in New York for the whole of this month. Steph is still beetling away with venue applications and work on the other Throwaway show, but we have at least got confirmation that we can have the rights to the Musical of Musicals for Edniburgh, money permitting. We're working on fundraising ideas to this end! We did apply for funding from the Lord Rootes foundation at Warwick but didn't get it, which wasn't really surprising since Throwaway were given the entire £5000 only 3 years ago. Onwards and upwards, as they say...

Well I think that just about gets me to a point where I've caught up with myself. It's all daily mundanity from here on in...!
Will blog more about State Fair and other exciting artsy happenings soon.
Lxx

No comments: